Tips for Beginner Green Witches
Sometimes you just don’t know where to start! I hope that this post will help some beginner green witches 💚
Beginner-Friendly Plants :
- Dandelions – Good friends! They are plentiful and they help the environment so much. Often mistaken for weeds! They can be used in wish spells or divination
- Marigolds – Very, very easy to grow. Repels all kinds of pests, wonderful to have a hedge of in your garden! Good in spells concerning legal matters and protection.
- Spider plants – Kind, air-purifying friends that happily grow anywhere. They produce so many pups, you’ll really only need to buy one! Good for spells concerning warding, banishing, and cleansing (of oneself or a room)
- Succulents (esp Echeveria and Sempervivum) – They need little more than a sunny window and periodic watering, and they are so nice to have around! Good for spells concerning the home and protection (of said home, or loved ones)
- Tomatoes – If you’re starting a garden, it’s pretty hard to screw up tomatoes (it’s okay if you do, tho, I did too.) You get delicious fruit and once they’re done, they can be plowed back into the soil for nutrients. Good for spells involving love and fertility (more than just making children!)
- Lettuce – Easy to propagate from storebought produce (though it’s better to start from a seed) and it’s delicious! (Spray it with garlic water to keep pests off, surround with marigold hedge.) Good for spells involving wealth and self love
- Remember to water your plants! This is something even I forget to do, so it’s important building healthy habits
- Don’t use pesticide/herbicide! They’re super, super awful for the environment. There are tons of natural alternatives
- I can personally vouch for the Epsom salts, vinegar, and dish soap herbicide recipe!
- These aren’t the only plants you’re limited to, I encourage you to branch out
- Look into companion planting, your babes will help protect each other. There are lots of great charts
- Astrology has lots of guides for when to plant your babes, if you’re into that (I am)
- Talking and singing to your plants does in fact help them grow. Even if you’re bad at it, or don’t know what to say. They enjoy listening
- Green thumbs, red palms
- No one is born with a green thumb. I have killed my fair share of plants, I have stumbled and fallen in my craft. But I’ve been at it for a while! You’ll get there, I promise
- Have no mercy when pulling weeds or killing pests in your garden
- If your plants die even when you’re doing everything right, they have taken a curse or ill will in your place
- Prune your plants (especially your house plants) often. They help to get bad vibes from your home, so it gets stored in the dead bits
- Don’t ever plant mint in the ground. It’ll take over your garden, your yard, your life. It becomes a hellish nuisance you can’t get rid of. Just, don’t. Please.