DIY Himalayan Salt Scrub
Body scrubs are easier to make than you think! The three main ingredients a body scrub entails are probably sitting in your kitchen. If you have never made a body scrub before and want to practice making one under a budget, 3 simple ingredients you can use are Salt or Sugar, Coconut oil or Olive Oil, and an essential oil of your choice for fragrance(this is optional). If you have experience making scrubs or want to try something new, here is a blend of different ingredients that I find works best for a soft, smooth finish.
- 1 cup Epsom Salt (softens skin and removes dead skin cells)
- ½ cup Himalayan Salt (removes dead skin cells)
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil (moisturizes and softens skin)
- 1 tbsp Vitamin E oil (moisturizes and softens skin)
- 1 tbsp Grapeseed Oil (moisturizes and softens skin)
- 2 tbsp Shea Butter (moisturizes and softens skin)
- 10 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil (heals troubled skin such as acne)
- 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil (soothes skin of irritation)
Note: Feel free to play around with the portions to your ingredients to achieve the consistency of your preference. Essential oil is optional and is mainly used for fragrance and aromatherapy purposes although Tea Tree oil is known to heal infections such as acne and athlete’s foot. I personally like the healing properties and aroma that the Tea Tree and Lavender essential oil bring, but you can use any essential oil of your choice. I find that the carrier oils I used are a great blend to truly soften the skin, but you can easily substitute it with any other carrier oil of your choice or what you have at hand. Same goes for the epsom salt and himalayan salt, you can replace it with any salt, but I find these two combined work a miracle on exfoliating the skin!